Like a pecan pie, but BETTER! Think of replacing the pecans with yummy walnuts and then trading out that nasty corn syrup for all natural maple syrup… that’s the gist. I love it!
1 Silly Zak’s Pie Crust
1 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2/3 cup coconut sugar
2 Tbs butter or ghee
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cup English walnut halves
1. Prep Zaks Gluten Free Crust.
2. Heat maple syrup in a medium saucepan over medium-low to medium heat. Simmer until syrup reaches 225 degrees; my pan takes 12-13 minutes.
3. While syrup is simmering, place coconut sugar and butter (or ghee) in a medium mixing bowl.
4. When the syrup reaches 225 degrees, immediately pour it over the sugar and butter… Let sit for 1 minute, and whisk until combined.
5. Add eggs, vanilla, and sea salt, and whisk until combined.
6. Pour filling mixture into the prepared pie crust and top with English walnuts. Cover crust with a pie shield or foil.
7. Bake for 15 minutes at 400°. Reduce heat to 350° and bake for an additional 15 minutes. The filling will be slightly less set in the center than the edges and it might puff up in the middle a little, but will set as it cools. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 8