Gluten-free apple dumpling Recipe:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1 Silly Zak’s Gluten Free Double Crust Pie Shell Packages
1/4 Cup of Real Salted Butter
1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon of Freshly Ground Nutmeg
1/4 Teaspoon of Freshly Ground Cinnamon
3 Large Peeled, Cored, and Chopped Green Apples
1 Pinch of Ground Cloves
1 Pinch of Sea Salt
2 Teaspoons of Cornstarch
1/2 Cup of Water
1 Large Fresh Egg
1 Tablespoon of Water
1 Bottle of Vegetable Oil
2 Teaspoons of Freshly Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Cup of White Sugar
- Take out a medium-size saucepan and add into it the real salted butter. Melt all of the butter over a medium heat setting.
- Place your chopped, peeled, and cored green apples into your saucepan and saute them for approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, sea salt, and brown sugar into the saucepan with the sauteing apples. Continue to cook all of these ingredients for an additional 5-9 minutes, stirring frequently until the apples become evenly browned and soft.
- Next, dissolve all of the cornstarch into the distilled mineral water and then add it to the saucepan with the apples. Stir all of the ingredients together, while bringing it all to a boil that you will need to hold for 30 seconds.
- Once the saucepan mixture becomes thick and syrupy, remove it from the burner and then set it aside so that it can cool down to room temperature.
- Unpackage the Silly Zak’s gluten-free double pie crust shell’s. You should have 2 individual pieces.
- Lightly flour a large and clean kitchen surface. Begin cutting 2×2 or 3×3 inch squares out of the pie crust shells. Continue doing this until you have 20-30 square pieces.
- In a small bowl, beat your egg together with some distilled mineral water to create a nice egg wash.
- Place a small spoonful of the apple mixture on to each cut pie shell square. Brush the edges of the square with the egg wash mixture. Bring the edges of the square together to properly secure the dumpling. Using a fork, crimp the edges to hold it together firmly.
- Take out a medium size pan and fill it with 2-3 inches of vegetable oil. Heat this oil to 320 degrees Fahrenheit or 160 degrees Celsius.
- Take out a small mixing bowl and thoroughly combine the smaller ingredient portions of the white sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook each gluten-free apple dumpling in the hot vegetable oil for 2 minutes per side or until each dumpling is a nice even golden brown color.
- Allow the dumplings to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
You can purchase Silly Zak’s gluten-free products from our online store or in fine local retailers. Check to see what products are available, including our 9-Ounce Silly Zak’s Gluten-free Pie Shell and other recipes like our gluten-free apple dumpling recipe.