Expert bakers have taken on this issue to provide some excellent products. Let’s indulge in making a Gluten-Free Banana Cream Pie with Silly Zak’s Gluten Free Pie Crust.
- whole milk – 3 oz
- heavy cream – 16 oz
- cornstarch – 2 1/2 tablespoons
- large egg yolk
- granulated sugar – just shy of 1/2 cup
- salt – 1/3 teaspoon or to taste
- real vanilla extract – 1 tablespoon
- ripe bananas – 3 medium
- confectioners’ sugar – 1 tablespoon or to taste
- Silly Zak’s Gluten Free Pie Crust
- In a medium-large mixing bowl, combine one cup of the heavy cream with the whole milk.
- Add the cornstarch into 1/3 of the cream mixture and whisk in the egg yolk. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the remaining cream mixture, salt, and 1/3 cup of granulated sugar.
- Slowly bring the mixture to a simmer on low heat and remove from heat source.
- Whisk the egg yolk mixture into 1/3 of the warm sugar-cream ingredients, blending all into the saucepan.
- Return the pan to medium heat.
- Immediately begin to stir and continue stirring until the pudding begins to thicken. (about five minutes).
- Be sure to scrape sides and bottom of pan continuously while stirring so the pudding does not scorch.
- Pudding is ready to remove from heat when the mixture coats the back of the spoon.
- After removing from the heat, add the vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Strain the pudding into a bowl.
- Cover the pudding with a lid or plastic wrap.
- Chill for over three hours.
- Bake your Silly Zak’s Gluten Free Pie Shell as directed. Let cool on a rack.
After the pudding is set and the crust has cooled, pour half of the mixture into the crust. Peel and slice two of the ripe bananas on top of the mixture. placing them evenly. Add the rest of the pudding mixture, coating the banana slices fully. Cover with lid or plastic. Let the pie rest in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
When ready to serve, slice and add the last banana to the top of the pie. The cream that is left can be whipped until stiff, then fold in the last of the vanilla extract and confectioners sugar. Pipe or spread over the bananas on top of the pie.