The Ultimate Gluten-Free Blueberry Pie Recipe
When making a gluten-free pie, the biggest challenge is always going to be the crust. Traditional pie crusts are made of graham cracker crumbs or flour, and they rely on the gluten in these ingredients to hold the structure of the pie. Even once you find the ideal gluten-free pie crust, your work is not done. The average recipe uses a little flour to bind together the filling, so you will have to find alternative methods for filling. The secret that we use in our recipe is cornstarch. It creates a smooth, glossy blueberry syrup that sets perfectly as the pie cools.
Gluten-Free Blueberry Pie Ingredients
- 2 10 inch Silly Zak’s Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- 6 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. milk
- 1 egg
Gluten-Free Blueberry Pie Recipe Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently toss the blueberries with the sugar and cinnamon, and then fold the lemon juice, lemon zest, and cornstarch into the mixture.
- Stir the blueberry blend until any cornstarch lumps are dissolved, being careful not to mash the blueberries.
- Take one of the Silly Zak’s Gluten Free Pie Crusts out of the pan, and gently flatten it to form a circle.
- Put the berry filling inside of the remaining pie crust.
- Gently wrap the flat filling around a rolling pin and then unroll it carefully on top of the blueberry filling.
- Crimp the edges together firmly. If desired, pinch the edges into a wavy pattern to make the pie more decorative.
- Beat together the milk and the egg and brush the eg wash gently on the crust to give it a shiny finish.
- Use a sharp knife to put small slits in the crust to let steam escape.
- Bake the pie for 20 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake 30 minutes more.
- Let cool at room temperature before serving.
Interested in baking a blueberry pie without gluten today? Check out the Silly Zak’s online store.