3 tsp canola oil, separated
3/4 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1 large sweet red pepper, cut into strips
1 large sweet yellow pepper, thin strips
1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
10 slices Silly Zak’s Gluten-Free Bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 large Eggland’s Best eggs
4 large egg whites
2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Using a large skillet, heat one teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender (8-10 minutes). Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until golden brown (6-8 minutes). Add onion to mushrooms.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add peppers, leek, salt and pepper; cook and stir until leek is tender (6-8 minutes). Stir in sauteed mushrooms and onion.
- In a 13×9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of each of the following: Gluten-Free bread cubes, vegetable mixture, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites and milk until blended; pour over layers. Sprinkle with basil. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats.
- Bake, covered, 50 minutes. Bake, uncovered, until lightly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 10-15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Number of Servings: 8