Serves: 8 People
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour and 10 minutes
- 2 9-Ounce Silly Zak’s Gluten-free Pie Shells
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, whisked
- 4 cups tart cherries, pitted
- 1 and 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 tablespoons gluten-free cornstarch
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 375°F
- Pour pitted cherries into a medium saucepan. Combine with 1 and 1/2 cups sugar and 4 tablespoons cornstarch and stir to thoroughly coat the fruit. Cover and heat over medium-low heat, stirring and crushing every few minutes. When mixture starts to thicken, squeeze in lemon juice and season with salt. Adjust the thickness as needed with water or cornstarch in order to get a filling that is slightly gelatinous but still fairly loose.
- Pour mixture into one gluten-free pie crust, tapping against a flat surface and evening out with a spoon. Cut butter into small chunks and dot the surface of the filling.
- Wet the edges of the first pie crust. remove the second pie crust from the tin and roll out to lay it over the top of the first. Crimp the edges together and cut off any excess, then cut a few slits into the center of the top crust to vent the steam. If desired, use any leftover crust for decorative shapes for a better presentation.
- Brush down the crust with an egg wash, then sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until crust is a nice golden brown color. Remove your gluten-free cherry pie from the oven and allow to cool for at least 1 hour before serving.
If you’d like to give this recipe a try for yourself, you can purchase Silly Zak’s gluten-free pie crust and other products from our online store or at any of our fine local retail locations. Take a look now to see what products we’ve got in stock.