So let’s get to making gluten-free cider bourbon apple pie. The recipe here calls for 2 Silly Zak’s pre-made pie crusts. One will be used for the top.
Gluten-free Cider Bourbon Apple Pie Recipe
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves: 6 people
- 2 unbaked 9-inch Silly Zak’s gluten-free pie shells
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 6 medium apples, Fuji or Honeycrisp
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Defrost the pie crusts in your refrigerator overnight. Remove the crusts from the refrigerator before you prepare the filling.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the apple cider and bourbon. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer until the mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup. Set this aside to cool while you prepare the apples.
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, vanilla extract, cornstarch, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine well.
- Peel the apples. Cut them into 1/4 inch thick slices, leaving the cores behind. Add the apple slices to the bowl and toss to coat completely with the lemon juice mixture. Pour the cooled cider and bourbon over the apples and toss everything together to combine.
- Prick the base of one pie crust a few times with a fork. On a surface dusted with gluten-free flour, roll out the other pie crust to approximately a 13-inch disc. Pour the apple filling into the first pie crust. Place the rolled out crust over the filling and crimp the perimeter to seal the two crusts together. Make 4 to 6 two-inch slits in the top crust with a very sharp knife.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 2 teaspoons of water. Using a pastry brush, coat the top of the pie with the egg wash. Sprinkle with the granulated sugar over the egg wash.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and continue to bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling has started to bubble, approximately 45 minutes.
- Cool for about 30 minutes before serving.
You don’t need to avoid apple pie when not consuming gluten. Homemade gluten-free cider bourbon apple pie is pretty easy, especially when using pre-made pie crusts. For this recipe, we recommend Silly Zak’s gluten-free pie crusts. Please visit Silly Zak’s website for all gluten-free products and more recipes.