Lemon meringue pie can seem intimidating, but with a bit of effort, you can end up with a dessert that you will be proud to share with family and friends.
A 9″ gluten-free baked pie crust, like this one from Silly Zak’s
1 cup plus 6 tablespoons of white sugar
2 tablespoons gluten free flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ cups water
2 lemons, zested
2 tablespoons butter
4 eggs, separated
Prep Time:40 Minutes
Cook Time;10 Minutes
Total Time:50 Minutes
Servings Per Recipe:8 to 9 pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Zest your lemons
3. Separate your eggs. Place the yolks into a small bowl, and the white into a large mixing bowl because you’ll need room to whip them.
4. Add the flour, cornstarch, salt, and 1 cup of your sugar into a medium saucepan and whisk them together well.
5. Add lemon zest and water to the mixture and stir it in.
6. Juice your lemons and add the juice to the mixture in your saucepan.
7. Cook the mixture on medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
8. After the mixture boils, add in your butter. Stir it until it’s incorporated.
9. Take roughly ½ cup of this sugar lemon mixture and carefully whisk it into the egg yolks you set aside.
10. Whisk the egg yolk lemon mixture back into your saucepan. Return the mixture to a boil and stir it well until it thickens.
11. Once the mixture has reached proper thickness, remove it from the heat. Pour it into your pie crust.
12. Get your egg whites from earlier and whip them until they turn foamy.
13. While you are whipping, gradually add your 6 tablespoons of sugar. Make sure to whip the egg whites well between additions.
14. Whip the egg whites until they begin to form stiff peaks. This part takes some patience, as it may take 10 minutes to reach that stage.
15. Take your meringue and spread it over the pie filling you made. Seal the edges of the pie well with the meringue.
16. Bake the pie for 10 minutes, or until the meringue has reached a lovely golden brown color.
17. Cool the pie at room temperature.
This pie will be a great addition to your culinary repertoire, so give it a try.