About the only downside to pigs in a blanket comes for gluten-free individuals who normally can’t eat them due to the fact they’re wrapped in pastry. Fortunately, this doesn’t have to be the case, as there are many options for making pigs in a blanket without gluten products.
Let’s take a look at how to make gluten-free pigs in a blanket everyone can enjoy.
Serves: About ten people (or a couple hungry kids)
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 15 Minutes Per Batch
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. Cut both pie shells in half vertically, then horizontally, then diagonally. Finally, cut each triangle in half once more, resulting in 32 equally sized strips of pastry.
3. Open your hot dogs and cut each into thirds for 30 small hot dog bites.
4. Place your hot dog pieces at the fattest end of each pastry strip, rolling them up until they’ve reached the end. You should have two strips of pastry left which you can save for later (or just open a new pack of dogs and finish them off).
5. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, arrange the pigs in a blanket in two rows of four with the fold facing up for presentation, giving them a good amount of space between them. Brush down with a beaten egg and a tablespoon of water, then sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
6. Place the pigs in a blanket in the oven and cook for around 15 minutes, turning halfway through for even browning.
7. When pastry is flaky and golden brown, remove from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool. Continue cooking until all the gluten-free pigs in a blanket have been cooked. Serve next to ketchup, mustard, or any other condiments you enjoy.
You can purchase Silly Zak’s gluten-free products from our online store or at any of our fine local retail locations. Check now to see what products are we have available, including the gluten-free pie shell in this recipe plus much more!