A gluten-free pie that’s easy to make and delicious
What’s better than strawberry pie paired with a dollop of homemade whipped cream? When you know it’s a gluten-free pie that you’re enjoying with whipped cream. That’s the only thing better!
Try out this recipe and skip the hassle of making a pie crust from scratch. Buy a gluten-free pie crust from Silly Zak’s and you’re guaranteed a crumbly and light pie shell that won’t disappoint.
- 6 to 7 cups of fresh or frozen strawberries, washed and cut into quarters if fresh
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Follow any prep directions or baking needed for your Silly Zak’s pie shell and then start getting the filling ready. You won’t need to bake the filling with the pie crust for the recipe. Once your pie crust is ready, you will add the filling and chill it in the fridge.
- Wash your fresh strawberries before you chop them up and measure out 6 to 7 cups total. You can also use frozen, but fresh will always have a better taste.
- Take half of the strawberries and heat them up in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Mash the strawberries as they heat up. Add in the sugar. Wait for boiling bubbles to form and then turn it down to low heat.
- As it simmers, mix cornstarch and orange juice in a separate small bowl or ramekin. This will help reduce clumping when it is added to the strawberry mixture.
- After strawberries and sugar have simmered for about five minutes, add in the cornstarch mixture, vanilla extract, fresh lemon juice, and ground cinnamon. Let it simmer for another minute and then take the pan off the stove top.
- Add the remaining strawberries to the saucepan and stir until well-coated.
- Pour the filling mixture into the prepared pie crust. Chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours in order for it to set properly before serving. Alternatively, you can put it in the freezer for at least 2 hours before serving. If you freeze it, you will have to let it thaw for a few minutes before cutting.
- Use a chilled mixing bowl and whisk to make this recipe. Start by pouring the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract into the bowl. Whisk on high speed for 1 or 2 minutes or until stiff peaks begin to form in the mixture. Be sure not to over beat it or else you will end up with the wrong texture.
- Serve a dollop on top of your delicious strawberry pie slice!