The great taste of strawberry-rhubarb pie is hard to beat any time of year. While you may think that you cannot have this delicious creation if you have to live gluten-free, nothing could be further from the truth. This recipe for gluten-free strawberry-rhubarb is so easy to make that you will find yourself making it often.
While this pie is especially good in the spring when you can get fresh strawberries and rhubarb, you can use frozen strawberries and rhubarb so that you can delight your friends and family with its delicious taste and aroma all year long.
Gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
This delicious pie with its beautiful crumb topping goes together in minutes. The hardest part will be waiting for it to cool once baked.
1 Silly Zak’s Pie Shell
6 cups sliced strawberries
6 cups frozen sliced rhubarb
1 lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup gluten-free cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon raw sugar
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
⅓ cup turbinado sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
⅓ cup flaked unsweetened coconut
3 tablespoons sliced almonds
5 tablespoons cold butter
- Position oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place pie shell in 9-inch pie pan.
- Pour frozen rhubarb into a colander. Drain but do not press out water. Let the rhubarb thaw completely before proceeding.
- Combine strawberries, rhubarb, and zest of one lemon in a large bowl.
- Add vanilla extract, sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg, water and raw sugar to strawberry and rhubarb mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Use a slotted spoon to place filling in pie shell.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients except for butter.
- Cut in butter to make a crumb topping.
- Place topping on top of fruit filling.
- Place pie on a baking sheet.
- Bake pie for 10 minutes.
- Turn pie 180 degrees in the oven.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown.
- If bottom crust begins to get too brown, wrap edge in aluminum foil.
- Let cool for at least 60 minutes before serving.
The key to making this delicious gluten-free strawberry-rhubarb pie is to use one of Silly Zak’s premade pie shells, so you can make this and other fabulous pies easily.
You can purchase Silly Zak’s gluten-free products from our online store or in fine local retailers. Check to see what products are available, including our 9-Ounce Silly Zak’s Gluten-free Pie Shell and other recipes like this gluten-free strawberry rhubarb recipe.