Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pie
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves: 6 people
2 or 3 baked and peeled sweet potatoes or 1-1/2 cups unsweetened canned sweet potatoes
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 whole large eggs
1/4 cup whole milk
4 tablespoons room temperature butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 unbaked Silly Zak’s gluten-free pie shell
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Purchase gluten-free pie crust shell from Sill Zak’s
- Preheat your oven to 300°F.
- In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mash the sweet potatoes with a hand masher or the back of a fork. Add the brown sugar, eggs, milk, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Blend the ingredients with a hand mixer or a stand mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Pour the filling into the Silly Zak’s pie shell and sprinkle the granulated sugar over the top. Set the pie aside for 10 to 15 minutes before baking to allow the sugar to dissolve.
- Put the pie in the oven and bake for approximately 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool before serving.
- Cut the pie into 6 or 8 equal slices. Serve the pie wedges with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. It is also excellent with a steaming cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk.
Homemade gluten-free sweet potato pie is pretty easy when using a pre-made pie crust. For this recipe, we recommend Silly Zak’s gluten-free pie shell that you can order online or find in a variety of local markets. Just remember to thaw it out before filling it. Please visit Silly Zak’s website for all gluten-free products and more recipes.